Thursday, May 06, 2004

Reality Shows: Throw me off... a cliff

NBC: For Love or Money, Next Action Star, Who Wants to Marry My Dad, and Last Comic Standing
CBS: Survivor All-Stars, The Amazing Race, Big Brother, Survivor: Thailand.
FOX: The Simple Life, American Idol, Forever Eden, etc.
ABC: Extreme Makeover, The Bachelor.

I know this topic been done to death. I don't care. You don't have to read it (But if you truly are a friend, you will...)

Who's watching these shows? Note to those people: Grow a brain. You're encouraging these networks to keep making this junk. Reality Shows? In what way? That there is little to no script, not much of actor or writer participation? They're as dumb as 80's expressions. Somebody gag me with a spoon.

My point is that these shows are getting in the way of something more enlightening. Good shows are getting canceled: Kristin, The Michael Richards Show, The Stones, and.... Wait a minute. Kristin's voice made me want to go all Elvis on my TV, Mr. Richards isn't funny unless he's Kramer, and The Stones is as exciting as looking a a rock. A boring rock. So I guess its not as bad as it seems. It raises a good point: Anyone who watches TV for mental stimulation is 2 to 6 years old, or just about as smart. Although the History channel, and Discovery Channel, when its "Things that can Maul You Week", are great ways to do some effortless learning.

Lots of smart people that I know... some I even respect, watch reality TV. There are exceptions, but I bet the general bulk of viewers could easily be entertained by aluminum foil, or even *shudder* daytime soap operas. If those people got shot in the head, they'd make a whistling noise every windy day.

Seriously, though, its shows like this that cancelled Family Guy, Futurama, and Working (Yeah I know, shut up, I liked it). Probably not, but its a good excuse, I'll go with it. Thanks a bunch, TV executives, you make the people that watch reality shows look like they might know how to breathe. Did the doctor who did their lobotomies forget to inform them that he had a 2 for 1 sale on hemisphere removal?

So when you watch reality TV, and you hear a tiny, painful, scream, that's a brain cell PRAYING that you kill him off with beer.

No comments: